Friday, November 2, 2012

Rev. Linda Jean Myers to Serve as Pastor


Rev. Linda Jean P. Meyers will serve as “Intentional Interim Pastor” as of January 1, 2013 as Girdwood Chapel says goodbye to Pastor Jim Doepken.
Linda Jean comes with a wealth of experience up in Alaska and in other settings and she will be guiding our congregation as we look forward to a longer-term pastorate to meet the needs of our church and larger community.  She has received special training for this ministry.
The following is the letter of introduction that was read on Sunday, September 2, 2012:
Dear Friends and Members of The Girdwood Chapel:
It is with humility but with great joy that I take this opportunity to introduce myself to you as your Intentional Interim Pastor beginning the first of January 2013.
I am a full Elder in the United Methodist Church who has received the denomination’s training for Interim Ministry.  This past April I finished the two year Academy for Spiritual Formation through The Upper Room Ministry.
Over the years I have lived and served in Iowa, Alaska (Wasilla, Willow and Trapper Creek 1988-1994) and Texas.  My most recent appointment was at Bethany United Methodist Church in San Antonio, Texas.  Although we were a small congregation (worshipping around 70 each Sunday), the congregation actively responded to hunger issues by providing a five day a week senior nutrition center, commodities and a food pantry.  There was a significant homeless population in our neighborhood, so we hosted a cold weather shelter which provided hot meals, showers and laundry services.  We had a full time Wesley nurse on site and worked ecumenically with the surrounding churches to meet the diverse needs of the community.
My husband Ron (who is also clergy, currently serving at First United Methodist Church, Anchorage) and I have two daughters, Rachel and Rebekah.  Rachel is currently a senior at the University of Arkansas and Rebekah is a sophomore at South High School in Anchorage.  I particularly enjoying traveling, reading and laughing!
I know that God has even greater things in store for Girdwood Chapel. I only ask that we open our hearts together to the Holy Spirit so that we may know God’s will and follow with generous hearts.
I look forward to meeting you all and learning the wonders of your life and faith stories.
Grace and Peace,
Linda Jean P. Myers